oregon trip--part 1

Saturday, October 23, 2010

I'm finally getting around to writing about my trip to Portland, Oregon (which was about a month ago...I know, I know). I went the last week of September (about three days after we were let back into our house after the fire), and I was there a little over four days.

Day 1--Saturday (Sept. 25)
I went to the airport around 1 p.m. Now, to be honest, I hate airports. I don't like all the busyness, all the people, and the rush, rush, rush. When I went to Hawaii last year, that is just what it was...noisy, tons of people, and me about ready to freak out. However, this airport experience was much smoother. I was dropped off at the curb and got my bad checked in curbside. Then I went in and pretty much walked through security. The plane ride wasn't too bad either (I don't like flying either). I was flying on a small 70-seater jet and had been told you feel a lot of turbulence on them. Wasn't the case on this flight (thank goodness).

After a little under 2 hours of flying I arrived in Portland. I got my bags and went outside for Sommer to pick me up (Sommer is the friend I was going to visit). I haven't seen her in about 7 years. It was good to see her after so long.

We drove to her house. I couldn't believe all the trees! Or how green in was! It was beautiful! And I couldn't wait to take pictures. It was a beautiful sunny day, too (which I hear is rare this time of year in Portland). Her daughter (Aubrey) was in the car with her. She is about 4-years-old. As soo as I got in the car, Sommer said her daughter needed to know who my favorite Disney princess was. I answered Aurara (aka Sleeping Beauty). Apparrently that was the right answer becasue she befriended me right away.

We got to Sommer's house and I unpacked. I was then introduced to her husband and her son (Tyler). Then she suggested a Girl's Night Out for the girls (me, Sommer, and Aubrey) and a Guy's Night Out for the guys (her husband and son).

We went to one of the local malls and planned to have dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. I have never eaten there before, but had heard it was really good. When we got there it was about a 45 minute wait, so we explored the mall and got orange julius drinks (mine was actually strawberry). We talked some more and got a little caught up on each other's lives these past few years.

Sommer kept joking about how the menu for the Cheesecake Factory was a book...at least I thought she was joking. When we were finally seated and handed the menu, it was a book! I was wondering how I was going to decide what to order...it seemed like there were 200 things to choose from, all of which sounded good. I finally decided on garlic noodles, which consisted of pasta noodles, aspargras, mushrooms, and sundried tomatoes tossed in a garlic sauch (a very rich garlic sauce, I may say). So yummy! Sommer also got a garlic type pasta. I kept joking about how horrible our breath would be after dinner. Then we ordered some cheesecake to go. I picked the chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake (couldn't have thought of a better combination).

After dinner we went back to Sommer's house for cheesecake and a chick flick. The chick flick was The Last Song. So we donned our pj's, got out our cheesecake, and watched the movie. The movie was cute, even though I'm not much of a Miley Cyrus fan. Oh, and the cheesecake was heaven. Yep, it was love.

0 comments: