deer in the yard

Monday, October 19, 2009

This is just a random post about the deer that show up in our yard all the time.
Every year when it starts to get cooler the deer start to migrate lower and lower in the mountains. So when fall comes, the leaves start changing color and such I willl come home to about 20 deer in my yard. Mostly it is just does and fawns, and every now and then a couple of bucks. A lot of the does had twins this year...so you will see a doe with two fawns following her everywhere. I've seen three bucks that come around regularly...most of them are two-point...very rarely do you see a four-point down this low...they usually stay up higher in the mountain.

That is one thing I love about living out here--two blocks south of the middle of nowhere--is the deer and other wildlife I get to enjoy. I love animals, so it is great to come home to a bunch of wild deer or turkey. We also have jack rabbits, raccoons (those are annoying), and fox (I've seen them only a few times late at night). Some other wildlife that we have up here that is not so great are the raccoons (they get into everything), but also rattlesnakes and even mountain lions. In my part of the canyon there there hasn't been any mountain lion sightings, but there have been further up and also in the neighboring canyons. Rattlesnakes, I haven't seen one, but we've had neighbors who have spotted them...hopefully I never run into one.

Another plus is that it is so quiet up here...minus the wind (it is almost always blowing up here). But there are no sounds of traffic or the city going on...just peace and quiet...the sounds of nature. We have a creek in the backyard, so there's that sound, too.

0 comments: