Day 3
We got up late and ate breakfast (pancakes). After breakfast we headed to the beach to go snorkeling. I wasn't thrilled at first, but we used our rented snorkel gear which fit a lot better.
We drove for about an hour to go to a beach that was recommended to us by the gal at the snorkel shop. The place we went was Mokule'ia Bay, which is a small but beautiful beach tucked into a small cove area. The best beach we went to the whole trip. The water was so clear and blue. It was easy to get out into the water and get our snorkel gear on, too.
Mokule'ia Bay (the left side). The best beach we went to.
Once out into the water we swam over the the right side of the cove area. The water was so clear and we could see everything perfectly. We saw several different kinds of fish (big, small, yellow, green, orange, just a ton). The best thing we saw were the sea turtles! We saw about five of them. One came so close that I could have taken a picture...and I was cursing myself for forgetting to grab my waterproof disposable camera (which I had bought solely for that purpose).
We were out for a couple of hours. I got really worn out and started to shake because I was cold. My aunt said that means it is time to go in. It took us 30 minutes to swim back in, and I was starting to feel sick (is it possible to get sea-sick while snorkeling?). I was so worn out that I had to have my cousin help pull me in on his boogie board.
We came back to the beach and pulled out some snacks. I was starved...being out in the ocean really works up an appetite for me. After eating a little I just rested in the shade on the beach while my cousins went out to do more body surfing. I couldn't get how they still had the energy to do that. They did that for about2-3 hours. During that time I rested and then got up and took some pictures while trying to stay out of the sun. We left at around 4 pm, and I was ready to go.
My cousins body surfing.
Me acting like a dork on the beach.
On the way back we stopped for some shaved ice. I got banana flavor with a scoop of vanilla icecream on the bottom...that tasted good. I ate it so fast that I got the hiccups.
When we got home we all jumped in the shower. I was worried that I had gotten burnt, despite my attempts to keep sunblock on. Everyone said I just got a little bit of color...yeah, that color was read. I got burnt on my shoulders and all the day down my arms. My efforts failed, apparently. Luckily, that was the only day I burned on the trip, and the burn wasn't that bad (I didn't peel or anything afterwards). Ironically, my legs (which are glow in the dark white) didn't burn. They didn't even get tan!We had Hawaiian haystacks for dinner that night. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is rice topped with a chicken, cream of chicken, pineapple (which was the best part), green peppers, green onions, and dry lo mein noodles. Now, for the pineapple. In Hawaii the pineapple is so good...it makes the stuff we get here in the states look pathetic. It is so, so, so sweet and juicy. After dinner we all crashed.
Day 4
Day 4 was a Sunday, and we just planned on going to church and then do some driving around later. We were planning on going to church at 9 am. Well, that didn't happen. I even got up at 7 so I could be ready in time. So, I'm all ready to go to church and I go upstairs to my aunt's condo and everyone is still in pajamas. Come on guys!
We ate breakfast and figured we would go to church at 11, only one problem...none of the churches had meetings until 1 pm. That was a long wait. Everyone took a nap and I worked on a drawing. I was copying a picture hanging in the dining room of our condo (just a picture of a beach). I probably should have taken a nap, though.
We went to church, came back, had lunch, and then took an unofficial tour of the Marriot Hotel which was down the road (for those of you who don't know, this was a 5-star hotel that started at about $700 a night). It makes me sick to think that people have that much money to spend. We walked along the beach behind the hotel. Beautiful beach; kind of looks like one you would see on a postcard.
Me, my grandpa, and my cousin Courtney walked further while the rest of the group sat to rest. We went to this rocky cliff area. My cousin climbed the rocks to the water. I went as far as I dared to go because I was in flip flops. We got some great pictures there of the water coming in and crashing into the rocks, as well as some pictures of me and my cousin.
Waves crashing on the lava rock.
Me and my cousin Courtney
After that we went home and had dinner...steaks! I thought for sure I was going to gain weight on this trip. After dinner I crashed at my usual spot in my aunt and uncle's condo (who knows how long I was out).




0 comments:
Post a Comment